Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Survival Food: Mountain House Spaghetti Taste Test.

Photobucket

Hey guys, I am again trying some new stuff again. I kind of like to try out new things once in a while. So, I thought I would try a freeze dried meal. I know that there are a lot of freeze dried meals out there, tons of different companies, so I went and bought one. A popular brand out there is Mountain House, and also it was the only one that Walmart actually sells, errr that I have seen at any rate. It runs about $5 for one bag of 2 servings.

Photobucket

Cooking it was pretty simple. Just heat 2 cups of water to boiling, put it in the bag, stir it, seal it up, and let it sit for about 9 minutes. Then stir again and eat. I thought it looked a little soupy, but then I realized that if during a "troubling situation", liquids are at a premium, so I would probably prefer it a bit a little soupy. The taste is not bad really, and it would make a nice welcome hot meal. It kind of tastes like canned Spaghetti O's.

This would be pretty good for a vehicle or emergency kit. Just make up a little cooking kit with some Sterno, a Sterno stove, stick matches, a metal cup, and some water with this, and you have a pretty good meal kit. I know there are tons of self heating MREs out there, but this is the one locally that I could get my paws on. Mountain House sells a lot of ready made meals in bags, packs, kits and #10 cans on their site, as well as local distributors. At less than $5 this is a bit of a budgetary concern, however for something to add to a vehicle kit on occasion, it would be well worth the price. If stranded, I do not want to ever be caught without food. This is the first time I am trying their products, and so far this was pretty good for a commercial MRE.

4 comments:

Bob Mayne said...

I've actually eaten a couple of these and they're not bad. I'm not suppose to eat them because of my diet restrictions, but I store them for the rest of my family. Mountain House makes good stuff. Easy to prepare too.

Anonymous said...

I tried the lasagne and it reminded me of Chef Boy R Dee Lasagna noodles but with less flavor. It had that canned pasta texture.

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Can I link to this post please?

Wolfen aka "Ravenwolf31" said...

yes you can, just give my site credit, and I would like a link to your site too.