Thursday, March 04, 2010

Survival Gear: Sewing Awl

I have read on many Emergency Bag lists that sewing needles and thread should be added, usually a small boxed sewing kit. Well, I did find something that I think would be a good addition to a bag. Well I found a really nice sewing awl stitcher kit called 'Awl for All'.
awl2

It comes with the stitcher, instructions, two needles, a spool of really thick waxed thread, and a screwdriver tool. It is really light and compact with the needles and screwdriver all fit in the hollow wooden handle with room for extras if you need it. It works really well on sewing up thick leather and supposedly canvas. The most it does is a lock stitch, but for making repairs or needing to just sew things together, it works really nicely. I have been practicing on really thick leather. It is something I would add to a bag or just use every day. I picked it up for about $11 at Sportsman's Guide . They do have a deluxe kit, with the stitcher with some large spools of thread and extra needles outside what the original kit has.

sewing awl

This is what it looks like all together with some practice stitches.

CORRECTION: I added in the word 'supposedly' when mentioning it works well with leather and canvas. I have not worked with it on canvas... yet. I will try it though. Sorry about that. Also, there is a main website Awl for All for the little awl. It says it can be used on tarp, plastic and sail material. Thought I would add that.

3 comments:

Rob said...

This is something that is perpetually on my 'to get' list. How well do you think it will work on canvas or, perhaps, on a poly tarp? What about a modern tent?

Wolfen aka "Ravenwolf31" said...

I have not tried it on canvas, but it might be interesting to try. I have heard that it can be used for that though. Tarp I am not so sure either. Their site http://www.awlforall.com says that it can be used on plastic, nylon, sail cloth and other materials. I can believe it. The piece of leather you see in the picture is very thick. It might be good to try out.

TheSurvivalMom said...

Considering the price, I think this should be in every prepper's home. It can do the type of job that would be a lot more difficult with the traditional needle and thread. Thanks for the heads up!