Friday, April 01, 2011

They're Here....

They're coming... You hear the moaning sounds... The muffled shuffling steps... The news reports of odd attacks... The zombies are coming. What would you do?

Well, a few months ago, I bought The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. And no, not because I think zombies are really coming. The reason why I got the book? It helps with the mental gymnastics. The book goes into in depth detail about prepping for a lot of situations, locations and senarios. It turns on the creative centers of the mind, and gets you thinking logically 'what if' and 'if then'. Yes, I know it is a fiction book. BUT, it gets you thinking out side of the box.

This book and the rough outline for thinking could also be applied to other situational disasters, and would be a good starter topic of conversation about it. What supplies would I need? What skills would be useful to learn? Should I stay or leave if this event happens? The pros and cons of staying or leaving? If I leave, what would be considered a safe and sustainable place to live? How could I MAKE this place sustainable if I had to stay here for an extended period of time? And these questions lead in to other areas of thought in subjects like construction, security, food production, and many other topics. I feel this is an excellent book for that.

For example, there is one section of the book talking about possible structures to live in. It covers everything from police stations and churches to manufacturing facilities and homes. Would you want to go to a hospital if the 'traditional zombie event' broke out? Weigh the pros and cons of that situation!

As far as the preps that the book talks about, it is a good way to think about what you would need, but it is a bare bones minimum. Remember it is a joke book and there are tons of other places to get good lists of items to get for any sort of situation. That is the downside that I found. Oh and if you are a zombie genre fan, you would get the jokes in it. This book is pretty funny, in a serious kind of way. I have it in my library.

Oh and BTW, Happy April Fools Day... though this article is not a joke, but for real about a funny/serious joke book that I do for real have.

1 comment:

Sarawolf said...

Glad you got some ideas out of it lol, Zombies huh.