Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Survival Books: The Modern Survival Manual by Ferfal

I am working on some new topics for this year right now that are not finished, but I thought I would put up something that I posted here. I will do some Survival book recommendations from time to time.

-------------------

The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving The Economic Collapse" by Fernando "FerFAL" Aguirre

Just thought I would do a little bit of a report on "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving The Economic Collapse" by Fernando "FerFAL" Aguirre. I know that Bob has mentioned in his podcast (Today's Survival Show) about this book and I checked out ferfal's blog Surviving in Argentina. (EXCELLENT blog BTW.) So I took the leap and bought the book. Even though I am a bit of a newbie still in learning about this survival stuff, I found his information quite useful. He covers the basics on a lot of topics ranging from food storage, survival kits, day packs and vehicles, to protecting the home and yourself. Most of his advice is very practical, and that is what I like about this. He is very straight to the point when it comes to presenting his information. He even gives his opinions on BOLs (bug out locations) and staying home.

That said, there is one thing that sets this book apart from other survival manuals. This information does seem to come from someone who has gone through a MAJOR economic collapse, and he talks a bit about the social and governmental changes in everyday life before, during and after the collapse. I don't think this is something that is not in many of your survival books, (though I have not read too many other books on this subject, if there is let me know). The best part is the way he describes the way the banks behaved just days before the meltdown. It was quite interesting to read. The very minor downside is that it is in a 'raw' format and there are some minor grammatical errors. I personally kinda like this form, being from a self published book. I think I will let Ferfal explain things in his own words.


"No, In this case you are not getting a good looking book. It's self-edited and proof-read so there's going to be many mistakes for sure.

If it's quality literature you want, this is not it.

But you are getting an honest first-hand account of something you'll soon go through and how to deal with it. That's pretty unique information." -- FERfal

Other than that, the book is excellent.

I do recommend this as an all around urban survival book for starters, but the more experienced might be pleased with it too.

----------------------------------

If you have any suggestions for any good books, please put them in the comments area, I will be sure to check them out!

No comments: